An Outstanding Year Despite the Unending Crisis
Germany's 100 biggest restaurant chains/companies increased their sales by 5.1% in 2011(2010: +2.3%; 2009: +1.1%) and once again more than doubled the rate of growth with event catering registering the biggest jump. Twelve months between euphoria and Euro-angst during which the Germans proved to be amazingly crisis-resistant. What's more, the top 100 cleared the 11 bn hurdle in terms of net sales for the first time. 2011 was a record year, especially for the front runners, but also for the majority in the sector. The top 100 rang up the third-biggest increase in sales since the turn of the century.
5.1 % additional revenues for the 100 biggest foodservice companies - an achievement that reflects their desire and determination to forge ahead. The sector aims to increase its share of the disposable income of the population.
2011 was a year of anniversaries. McDonald's celebrated its 40th birthday in Germany and Europe. At the same time, the market leader cleared the billionguest hurdle for the first time.
Altogether, 27 companies reported double-digit increases in sales (2010: 21) compared to only 11 suffering a decline (2010: 22).
No less than four companies cleared the 100-m hurdle for the first time. In 19th to 22nd place: Joey's Pizza Service, Shell, Kuffler and Maredo. The most important characteristics of the foodservice year, 2011:
- Twelve months between euphoria and Euro-angst. The best year in termsof consumption for ages (good employmentsituation, buoyant mood amongconsumers, excellent economic development).
- At the same time, a multi-crisis year: - Nuclear accident in Japan- EHEC deaths in Germany- Financial disaster in GreeceAgainst this background, the Germansproved to be extremely crisis-resistant.
- Numerous top players spoke of the most successful year in their corporatehistories. Many announced record results.
- Very good development in terms of same-store sales.
- A good year for beer gardens.
- Super final sales sprint in December.
- Big orders were an important driving force for the event catering business.
- Effective Facebook fan campaigns.
- Adverse effect of increasing raw-material costs and a lack of good managers.The expectations for 2012 are dominatedby high targets, optimism among bothconsumers and companies. And by (fiscal)political and economic uncertainty.Some particularly interesting facts & figures:
- The biggest winners in terms of sales last year (compared to 2010) were market-leader McDonald's with +¤178.0 m,Burger King with +¤40.0 m (estimated)and LSG with +¤29.0 m. The increase inrevenues of the top 100 totals ¤544.9 m.(2010: 239.7 m).
- 15% of the top companies are global players - they account for 57% of revenues.Over half of the front runners areowner-run companies.
- This brands noted the best values in terms of same-store sales: MoschMosch+18.7%, Call a Pizza +15.9%, Jim Block+15.5% and L'Osteria +14.3%. The majorityof brands/companies achievedsame-store sales of between +2 and +6 %compared to the previous year - mainlyas a result of bigger eater checks.
- 76% of all respondents described their earnings position as being good tovery good (2010: 68%). 56% said theyhad invested more (2010: 51%). At thesame time, 72% reported increased costs(2010: 54%).
| 13 June 2012 |
NRA SHOW 2013 - Chicago, IL, USA,
18 May - 21 May 2013
National Restaurant Association Announces 2013 Food and Beverage Product Innovations Awards Recipients
PIR Hospitality Industry - Moscow / Russia,
01 Oct - 04 Oct 2013
Exhibition for the restaurant business professionals